skip to Main Content

Dust and Mold Allergy

Dust and Mold Allergy

What Is a Mold Allergy?

An allergic reaction from spores of molds or other fungi that occur over the course of several seasons is considered a mold allergy. When a mold source is upset, airborne spores can be inhaled causing an allergic reaction.

Mold and mildew are fungi organisms that live to decompose and absorb the organic material. Spores, which can be viewed as “seeds”, traveling through the air. Some spores spread in dry, windy weather. Others spread with the fog or dew when humidity is high.

Symptoms of fungal spore allergies are most prevalent between early summer and early fall. Allergic reactions to mold can occur year round. Fungi grow in many places, both indoors and outside, and have many of the same symptoms to pet allergies.

There are a few dozen molds that actually cause allergic reactions in humans.

Where is mold grown?

Many molds can be found in areas such as rotting logs and fallen leaves. They can also be found in compost piles and on grasses and grains. Molds do not die with the first killing frost, unlike pollens. But most outdoor molds become inactive during the winter.

In spring, most molds return as it grows on plants killed by the cold. When indoors, fungi grow in damp areas and can be found in common household areas such as the bathroom, kitchen, and basement.

How to prevent a Mold Allergy

Reducing mold growth in your home can be a big step, but there are some ways to reduce exposure:

  • Eliminate sources of dampness in basement
  • Keep organic plant containers clean and dry
  • Use a dehumidifier
  • Change filters on your furnace

There are also other risk factors to consider when reducing exposure to mold in your home such as, living in a house with high humidity or poor ventilation.

Back To Top